Apologies, as it has been a while since we have updated our news-bites via An Tirisdeach. Please see below some snippets of what’s been happening over the last month. More detailed information can be found on our website.
- Lochshell Engineering (based in Wick) has been appointed to undertake the repair works at Scarinish Harbour and an agreement with Argyll Estate to gift the Harbour over to the community is at an advanced stage. A grant has been secured from Marine Scotland and work is due to commence in late February/early March.
- Funding has been awarded from the Scottish Land Fund to cover the costs associated with the Trust taking ownership of the Hynish Buildings from The Hebridean Trust. This includes funding for a 2-year development officer post. This is currently being developed and more information about the post will be announced in due course. The legal process is lengthy and we are still not at the point of taking on the buildings quite yet.
- We have recently funded a variety of training courses on the island, including ‘healthy and safety at work’, ‘food hygiene’ and ‘personal license’ which over 25 members of the community have benefitted from.
- We are pleased to welcome Youth Worker Willie MacKinnon back to the office, following a short period of absence due to a leg injury. Willie will be conducting desk duties for the next month or so, we are delighted to report that he is slowly but steadily on the mend!
- You may have noticed that Tilley has not been turning over the last month. This is due to a generator fault and we are working with manufacturers to try and resolve this as part of our maintenance contract.
- The Tiree Ranger Service Guided Walk Programme for 2018 is now available online at:isleoftiree.com We’ve got three new routes for you to enjoy this year, and the programme will commence in April (rather than June as has previously been the case).
- Argyll and the Isles Tourism Cooperative held a Mini Tourism Summit at the end of the month which was attended by various people involved in the tourism industry.