Tiree Community Development Trust has been offered the opportunity to take ownership of all buildings and assets at Hynish which are currently owned by the Hebridean Trust. Hynish is a small crofting township lying on the most southerly point on the west of Tiree. Work on the buildings, which are category A listed, started in 1837 and comprised a reservoir, dock, workshops and lodgings for those involved in the building and operation of the Skerryvore Lighthouse.
In 1982 the Hebridean Trust took ownership and began restoring the buildings. Alan Stevenson House was originally built as store rooms, and has been restored and given a new purpose by The Hebridean Trust.
Other listed buildings in Hynish are home to ‘The Story of Skerryvore Lighthouse’ exhibition, and ‘The Treshnish Isles Natural History’ exhibition, while The Barracks, accommodation used by the building workforce in the 1830’s and 1840’s, and Keepers’ Cottages, occupied by the lighthouse keepers thereafter, are currently rented as term-let affordable accommodation. The Barracks is currently unoccupied due to damage caused by water ingress. Initial repairs have recently been carried out to the roof and walls in an attempt to stop this.
Inventory of Existing Buildings and Structures:
- A disused former coal store (no roof structure, currently bike pump track)
- Alan Stevenson House – recently restored 20 bed accomodation with wheelchair access and lift.
- Morton Boyd Hall – currently housing Skerryvore exhibition.
- Morton Boyd House – Self Catering Cottage.
- Lower Square Cottage – Self Catering Cottage.
- Old Stable Cottage – Term let.
- Old Stable – Treshnish Exhibition plus other empty stable space
- The Barracks – sub divided into 6 flats (currently unoccupied and not suitable for letting, although initial repairs have been carried to the roof and walls).
- Signal Tower.
- Upper Square – 4 terraced cottages – term lets.
- Pier and dock
- Reservoir and channel
Keep an eye on our News section for project updates.